ABSTINENCE is the state of not drinking or using at all.
- - - - RESOURCES
- - - - JOIN US
- - - - EMAIL ME
MODERATION means drinking or using from time to time at appropriate times in appropriate places,
and rarely if ever getting out of control.
MISUSE means out-of-control or inappropriate drinking or using from time to time
that is beginning to have an effect on one's life.
DEPENDENCE means out-of-control or inappropriate drinking a majority of the time one indulges;
this use is having an effect on one's life.
THE CYCLE OF DEPENDENCE looks like this:
1. use of the substance for quick and easy short-term effects;
2. feels good, so there is an increase in the amount or frequency of use,
and smaller duration of time without the substance;
3. a decrease in the amount of time using life skills to cope with or manage every-day living;
4. living skills begin to erode due to lack of appropriate use;
5. this leads to difficulty managing experiences and emotions without the use of the substance;
6. which leads to increased dependence on the substance to cope.